Join Rec@Home: BSF’s NEW Virtual Recreation Program for seniors in the community.
If you’re interested in learning more, please see our frequently asked questions below. Or, fill out this preliminary application form to provide your contact information and we will contact you to discuss program registration and complete a more detailed intake process.
Apply to Join
Low Income Senior Application
Our Low Income Subsidy Rate program lets you apply to register for Rec@Home at no cost. Eligibility is based on income and age. Examples of proof of income required if applying for the Low Income Subsidy Rate program include (only one form of proof is required):
- Assured Income for Severely Handicapped benefits (AISH)
- Alberta Works – Income Subsidy/Support
- Alberta Works – Learners
- Alberta Works – Alberta Health Benefit
- Resettlement Assistance Program form
- Canada Revenue Agency: Notice of Assessment
- Letter from a Registered Social Worker
Return completed Low Income Subsidy Application form including proof of income to:
- Email: Sarah. Allen@theBSF.ca
- Mail: Rec@Home c/o The Brenda Strafford Foundation - 4628 Montgomery Blvd NW Calgary, AB T3B 0K7
Apply for Low Income Subsidy (PDF)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Rec@Home?
- Our community virtual recreation program offers daily seated & Range of Motion exercises with staff, weekly live virtual therapeutic music sessions, various cognitive games, social groups, coffee chats and more! You are invited to join in from home!
How do I join?
- Go to our website and fill out our quick contact form: www.thebsf.ca/recathome ("Apply to Join"). Our Program Coordinator (Sarah Allen, RTA) will phone you to finalize your registration and schedule.
What is the cost to participate?
The cost is $25.00 per month (per household).
The cost is for the household (not per person), which means if there is more than one participant from your household, you only pay this subscription once per month including everyone in your household for unlimited access to programming!
How do I pay?
- As this is a subscription model of programming, payment will be electronically transferred from your bank account by approximately the 5th of each month.
Are there any subsidies for low income seniors?
- We do not want cost to be a barrier to entry for any senior that could benefit from participating in this program. That is why we offer the opportunity for seniors to apply to enrol in the Rec@Home program at no cost.
- Eligibility for the no cost program is based on income and age.
- Download Low Income Application Form
What are “sections” in the calendar programming?
- Each day has 2 sections (Mornings and Afternoons). Each section has 2 programs/activities.
- Mornings run from 10am-11am & 11:15am – 12:15pm and Afternoons run from 1pm-2:00pm and 2:15pm – 3:15pm.
- We suggest that you pick sections that you can attend consistently (same day/time) each week to establish relationships and build community! You will pick your desired sections during your “intake” phone call.
Is there a limit on how many sections or programs I can attend?
- No, at this time there is no limit on how many sections or programs that you can attend with the monthly household subscription.
What if I can't commit to a monthly subscription?
- We offer the option to “pick your week” and join in one week of unlimited programs for $20.00.
What if I’m not good with technology?
- This model of programming is so easy to learn. All you need is a device such as a laptop, iPad, or even smart phone!
What activities are offered?
- Social gatherings, cognitive games like Jeopardy, Cranium crunches, etc., seated Range of Motion exercises, Armchair travels, virtual museum tours, live virtual musical entertainment, and much more!
- View the Sample Calendar (PDF) to see the types of activities that are offered.
What ages can participate?
- Although geared towards seniors 55+, all ages are welcome.
Do I need a referral to join?
- No, you don’t! Since this is a private program run by the Brenda Strafford Foundation, anybody can join. Please register at our website (above). You can register yourself, or on behalf of a loved one.
What app do we need to participate?
- We use Zoom to run all of our programming. We recommend downloading the Zoom App if you are using an iPad or smartphone.
How does set up work?
- Set up is easy. In fact, we have a set up package with visuals to assist you upon admission to our program.
What our clients say about participating in Rec@Home...
Hello, I am a home caregiver offering companionship to two clients, involved with Rec@Home virtual Recreation, one in the mornings & one in the afternoons. Both my clients have progressive dementia. Connecting with them meaningfully and engaging them in some pleasurable activity was becoming a challenge for me as their conditions worsened.
The virtual “Rec@ home” program became my lifesaver!!! Thanks to this program, I can now better connect with and enrich the lives of my clients.
With my morning client, who now reverts to her native language, communication was truly a challenge. But the hourly virtual exercise program with Sarah made the difference! Through the exercise routine she smiles and laughs and loves to smile and joke. She is happy to see me by her side, as we do the exercises together. The barriers were removed, and our hearts were connected.
Now after the exercise session, she holds my hand as we together listen to concert music (which she enjoys immensely). Thanks to Rec@ home for connecting hearts!
With my afternoon client, who was more “outdoorsy”, we enjoyed long walks, birdwatching, and journaling together. All that came to a standstill with the cognitive decline. I was overwhelmed with anxiety as to how to keep her engaged as her behaviors became random and unexpected. “Rec@ home” came to my rescue!
I suggested the program to her spouse, and he was excited. By offering variety and flexibility on a “come-and-go basis”, the program worked well with her random behaviors. There’s no expectation or competition, so it puts her at ease. She especially likes Sarah’s jokes and laughs telling me “That’s a good one!” She is a music lover and simply loves the music sessions. In the comfort of her home, she enjoys observing entire group activities quietly, peering at the faces of the participants on the screen & socializing. At times she is motivated to exercise, when observing the group workouts.
Some of the beautiful aspects of the virtual program is doing at their own pace, no ratings, no pressure to perform and engaging in online fun activities & tours. It keeps their creative spirit alive!
Sarah and “Rec@Home” are game changers!! No denying that!!
And as for me, a caregiver, I can remain calm and collected, not to stress out about coming up with a new plan; fully assured that my clients are engaging in two hours of life enriching experiences.
Thank you, Rec,@ home!!!
If you have more questions, please contact Sarah Allen at Tel: 403.286.6166 or Email: Sarah. Allen@theBSF.ca